Everything looks perfect until your eyes go down and you see this...disgusting yellow print, almost as big as the display. Not only that. What it says is 'cash for gold'. Isn't that very delicate, private and serious transaction? Yes it is. To get people to trust you, you need to look professionally, get their attention by a GOOD font and design, which would say 'Yes,you can trust me. I know what I am doing'. Right? -Right. Then why would the owner of this shop put on a poster like that? The font saying 'cash for' and 'best prices paid!' is not the worst... but the font used for 'CASH' is just making me cry. As well as the little pound signs around it. Its bulky, round, playful looking, and has this unacceptable black, thick stroke around it. So instead of inviting people in, what the sign communicates is 'I don't really know what I am doing. Come in, we will joke a while and then I will give you few pounds for the whole bag of jewels you just gave me'.
So NO! That is definitely not the font you should be using on this sign. The font used should be delicate, proud, little feminine and decorative. With gentle serifs.
So why not to use a font like Imprint MT Shadow ?
At lest it would match with the shop name. It just looks like gold.
And if you do not like this one, there's plenty of other beautiful and delicate fonts. For instance : Baskerville. Or Felix, Book Antiqua, Castellar, Charlemagne, even Britannic Bold if you really need something bold...
That's only few examples. And yes,they do look good in white as well.
Summing up, the font used in this design is very inappropriate, definitely does not communicate the right message and whoever designed this poster should burn.




What a fabulous introduction to this lovely wee shop ; ) Can you identify the font used for GOLD? I believe there's a fair bit written about it in your book (think easyjet).
ReplyDelete