30 November 2011

Admiral Fallow information poster




“(Their) brooding, heartfelt folk leanings are bolstered by a sound track of colourful orchestration, including flute, strings and double bass - a rich concoction that has caught the attention of more than a few unsuspecting ears.” The List 

Admiral Fallow is a group formerly known as Brother Louis Collective, born in 2007 and gathered round the singer/song-writer Louis Abbott. It includes 6 members : Louis Abott- lyrics/singing/guitar, Sarah Hayes - piano/flute/singing, Kevin Brolly -clarinet/piano/drum, Philip Hague - drums, Joseph Rettray - bass, Tom Stearn - guitar and singing. Their great voices and the use of instruments create great folk/indie music.

Lead singer and main writer Louis Abbott has said that “All of the songs document the first chapter of my life, be it memories from school or kicking a ball about with my childhood chums. All of the songs are taken from real life events. There's no fiction. I'm not into making up stories or characters for the sake of trying to stir emotions. They are songs about friends and family as well as a fair bit of self-evaluation.”
As Louis expressed, their music is full of pain. It’s nostalgic and touching.
Also, in their songs, Admiral Fallow uses much metaphor, what puts the listeners into the state of katharsis even more.

Therefore, what I have noticed while listening to their music was that even if the lyrics were very sad, the music, still, was very happy, dancey and cheering up. If not listening to the lyrics, you actually could think their songs are about cheerfull moments.

My design is focusing on the aspect of the happy feeling of the music contrasting with the sadness of lyrics, shown methaporically by the count of the movement done by them on the stage and information of the instruments used by each of them. 

The bacground colour expresses the unhappy content of the lyrics. The grey and blue colours create the feeling of sadness and nostalgy. The texture put in the background is not only adding to the general meaning, both of sorrow and folkiness, but it also refers to the bands’ album covers :




Another part of th design conveying the sadness is a willow tree. This symbol is not random, as it’s taken from one of their songs (“Dead against smoking”) where the lyrics say “You are like the willow tree”. The willow tree, also called crying tree, represents sorrow.
Taking this important symbol into consideration, and conveying it into the design meaningfully, I have presented the members moves as the leafs on the tree. Each person has their own colour and the amount of leafs expresses the exact amount of movements performed by each person on the stage, based on four live performances.

I have used cheerful colours to reffer to the happy feeling of their music. The colours are vivid, but they are kept in the colour theme of folk/indie music (natural colours), as well as toned down a little to keep the overal concept consistent.

All leafs on the tree together show the contrasts and similiarities to the amount of movements done by each member, which is the funny and interesting part of the design.  I did not want to show a very common information about them, instead showing something unexpected.
The leafs are taken on the bar to show the amount of movements of members on a basic diagram, where the audience can see the whole “100%” and compare the member without problems.

The lines coming from the bar and matching each persons leaf are thin and simple, not to disturb the design nor catch too much attention, and very straight to give the design a little more feeling of clarity, and simpliness. That not only makes the design look more like actual information poster, but also reffers to the simple feeling of the bands album cover traphics.

The leafs on the left side represent each person’s individual style and how they participate in creating this great music. Each leaf consists of few parts, showing the exact movement done by a member, as well as showing the amount of particular movement in contrast to the other ones performed. It also, again, shows the contrast between individual members.

I have also used the bracket symbol, as it is a unique detail used by the band.




The fontused for most of the text is Bodoni. I have chosen this font for three reasons : first of all, it is used by the band n their logo, second of all, the font expresses the band perfectly : it’s simple, looks trustworthy, and sophisticated. The serifs add more of a readibility, and with the curvy letters ( for example the leg of an “R”) look very naturalistic. The third reason is that it is a modern font, conveying the time the band is producing in. They are new and fresh.
The font used for the poster name is also simple and thin. It’s imitating the font used by the band for their album covers. Its a sans serif, looking very modern, what is a similiarity to the Bodoni font, nonetheless, its very simple and thin, what also creates a great contrast to Bodoni, giving the title attention as well as making it consistent with the thin lines on the design.

The title is a big metaphor, as the bands lyrics use much of it as well. Weeping willow sways to the beat - those words basically explain the poster. A sad tree (the members of the band) dance to the music they create. 

9 comments:

  1. magda your poster seems to be too big as I can only see half of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. changed, though now you cant really see the text : s

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really nice piece Magda.

    In terms of visual communication, I think its great. I really enjoyed the meaning behind the willow tree. The graphic you have used to show the tree gets across the idea of sadness well. The colours you use work well and are not too striking, which I think reflects the band nicely from what I have read in your rational. The assortments of colours used to show everything can be a bit confusing and it takes a while to understand but it does provide a sense of happiness. So you have achieved that contrast of happy and sad in your visuals which is good.

    The typography used is quite good. The font choice does give off the sophisticated and elegant look that seems to link to the band nicely. The use of space with the text makes it clear and understandable. Hierarchy is ok, the little difference in font sizes makes it hard to follow the page easily but the order of importance is still clear.

    Overall the poster looks great! The colours and visuals work really well when explaining the ideas of contrast with sad and happy. It is quite difficult to understand but the clear, effective text makes it easier to follow the poster and what information its showing.

    A comment on my poster would be greatly appreciated Magda ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've already seen Michael's work on Admiral Fallow, they both look consistent, very Admiral Fallow (although I don't like their album covers). I like your choice of colours, but maybe make that red...less red and more organic? I like how you've used brackets as an element throughout your poster to emphasize text. Also the use of Bodoni, in my opinion is suitable and appropriate, and I do appreciate that you didn't use Helvetica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your use of colour seems to match their album covers almost perfectly, The contrast of colours is good as it makes clear the contrast between happy and sad. I like the willow tree idea, the tree does look sad :(. Your rational was very detailed and i enjoyed reading it, you seem to understand the band and their style extremely well and it certainly shows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the whole willow symbol and after reading the rationale it makes sense. However, if the poster was on its own I don't think it is clear enough that the mention of the willow tree is from one of their songs. Perhaps if you quoted the lyrics from the song or something? Maybe this is just me as I am not familiar with the band's music.

    Although I like the whole willow tree idea, I can't help but think that it is slightly confusing at first and maybe a little bit distracting from your facts about the band. Again, this might just be me being stupid though haha!!

    Overall, I really like your idea of counting the movements of the band and your colours seem to communicate the happy/sad feeling you were going for. I just think the way your information is shown could be that little bit clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the look and feel of the design. I like the colours used as they seem fairly muted and do a great job of symbolizing the band and the music they play. All of the graphics throughout the piece are very eye catching and make me want to investigate the rest of the poster to find out more about the band.

    The typography throughout the design works really well too and fits with the bands style and branding. I like how easy it is to read and how well spaced out it is throughout the infographic.

    I think the data you've used is very unique and I like how well you've represented it with the tree, the colours and the typography.

    Great design overall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the overall look, colours used, texture on the background. It feels folk. I think that it could be balanced better, more to the center. Very deep research took place when designing this piece-great! I'm not sure why you have used symbol of tree for representing the movements. You have created very smart and easy to understand diagrams with annotations. Those "leafs" doesn't look like a leafs to me, they are more like a drop of water. Bodoni fits the design, it looks like it just should be there. I like the idea of using brackets. Good work.

    ReplyDelete